Super quick review of Physical Therapy in Sport August 2011
Female athelete triad syndrome in the high school athelete.
Thein-Nissenbaum & Carr
- Triad = bone health-menstrual irregularities- poor nutrition
- Poorer nutrition increases injury risk 2-3x in young females
- Each component is associated with increased injury risk
Uninvolved versus target muscle contraction during contract-relax proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching
Azevedo et al.
- Biceps contraction as effective as hamstring contraction in contract relax stretch of hamstring
- ? Mechanism
Immediate effects of quantified hamstring stretching: Hold relax proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation versus static stretching
Puentedura et al.
- Both equally effective
Quadricep and hamstring activation during drop jumps with changes in drop height
Peng et al
- Greater height = greater deceleration challenge.
- The height of jump did not increase with height of box.
- No signiciant differences in muscle activation- forces absorbed by passive structures.
Relationship among eccentric hip and knee torques, symptom severity and functional capacity in females with patellofemoral pain syndrome
Nakagawa et al.
- Eccentric hip external roator and knee extensor strength was correlated with better functional capacity and pain levels
- No association with hip abductors.
The role of patellar alignment and tracking in vivo: The potential mechanism of patellofemoral pain syndrome
Song et al.
- Patella malalignment or maltracking may be “necessary” but not “sufficient” for the onset of patellofemoral pain.